I have written a tutorial about how to record Ubuntu desktop as animated GIFs using Byzanz. In this simple tutorial, I’m going to show you how to make animated .gif or avi/mpg video as desktop wallpaper in Ubuntu.
To get started:
1. First search for and install the required packages zenity, mplayer, unrar, rar, ubuntu-restricted-extras in Ubuntu Software Center.
2. Go to this page and click to download ad.tar.gz package.
3. Open Home Folder and navigate to the Downloads folder, right-click and extract the downloaded package.
4. Go into the extracted folder, double-click on a-desk.installer and choose Run, then choose one version to install (you can open System Monitor from the dash to check 32-bit or 64-bit).
While installing, two terminal windows will pop-up and prompt to input your user password.
5. After that, click OK. Right click on desktop and navigate to Scripts -> a-desktop
6. Select YOUR VIDEO, and click OK. Then navigate and choose your animated .gif or video file, and you’ll get it as desktop background.