Nuvola player is a cloud music integration for your Linux desktop. Currently supported services are Google Music, Grooveshark, Hype Machine, 8tracks, Rdio and Amazon Cloud Player.
- Nuvola Player runs web interface of cloud music service in its own window. With Nuvola Player you will never accidentally close web browser with playing music and window with your music is easily accessible from your dock/task bar instead of tab bar of your web browser.
- Nuvola Player shows notifications with currently playing song (Ubuntu, GNOME Fallback mode, GNOME Shell).
- MPRIS interface is used by applets, plasmoids and other applications (called MPRIS clients) to control running media players. GNOME Shell Media player indicator and Ubuntu sound indicator are good examples of MPRIS clients.
- Dock Manager interface is provided by docks to facilitate extra customization of dock items. Google Music Frame adds extra menu items to control playback (play/pause, previous/next song) or exit application. Docky, Avant Window Navigator and DockBarX are well known examples of Dock Manager compliant docks.
- Unity launcher integration: Nuvola Player adds extra menu items to control playback (play/pause, previous/next song) or exit application.
- Google Music Frame is able to handle multimedia keys in GNOME (managed by GNOME Settings daemon) and unmanaged keys (not blocked by other applications).
- Google Music Frame is able to assing play/pause action to standard Pause key. This feature is designed for users without multimedia keyboard and is disabled by default. To enable it open the Preferences dialog.
Install Nuvola Player in Ubuntu & Linux Mint using PPA:
The Nuvola Player Stable Builds PPA repository provides the latest packages for Ubuntu 13.04 Raring, 12.10 Quantal, 12.04 Precise, and old version for Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10.
To add the ppa, hit Ctrl+Alt+T to open terminal, copy and paste this command and execute:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nuvola-player-builders/stable
Then update app repository by this command in terminal:
sudo apt-get update
Finally, install Nuvola Player:
sudo apt-get install nuvolaplayer
Once installed, it should be available in the Unity Dash Home. Enjoy!